Financial Help After You’re Hurt on Private Property
It was just a routine trip to the grocery store or a seemingly easy visit to an office building. But you slipped and fell because of a bad bump in the parking lot or a slippery surface on the floor. You fractured your elbow and now you need ongoing medical treatment.
Since your fall happened on private property, you may be entitled to compensation to get financially back up again.
It’s common for people to fall and hurt themselves because of poorly maintained sidewalks, unmarked curbs, slick surfaces or even poorly designed wheelchair ramps.
If you needed medical tests or treatment after your fall, the Kentucky and West Virginia slip & fall lawyers at Morgan, Collins, Yeast & Salyer fight to get payment for your recovery.
What Should I Do First After a Slip & Fall Injury?
You fell, and you’re hurt. Now you should:
- Seek medical treatment immediately.
- Photograph the scene.
- Get names, addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses.
- Don’t rush to talk to an insurance company.
- Be wary of any attorney or medical provider who contacts you first.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer right away.
If a business or insurance company contacts you after your fall, don’t sign anything. First check with an experienced slip and fall attorney.
You need to move fast because personal injury claims have time limits. In Kentucky and West Virginia, you have a year from the date of the incident.
You can get a free initial consultation from the injury law firm of Morgan, Collins, Yeast & Salyer.
What Kind of Slip & Fall Payment Can I Get?
The physical and financial setbacks you experience because of your fall are called damages.
In your personal injury claim, you can get compensation for your damages, which may include:
- Medical costs resulting from your injury, including hospitalization and physical therapy
- Lost wages if you miss a period of work because of your injury
- Payment if you’ll never return to work, such as with a traumatic brain injury
- Pain and suffering compensation based on the severity of your injury
- Other expenses that crop up when you’ve suffered damage to your body and disruption to your life
What Does a Slip & Fall Lawyer Do for Me?
To get all the payment you need to recover, in a slip and fall case you need to prove negligence. This is where your attorney helps.
For example, if you were visiting the pharmacy to pick up your prescription and you fell on an icy sidewalk that wasn’t shoveled or salted, the owner of the pharmacy may be negligent.
It’s a business owner’s duty to maintain safe conditions on his or her property, which includes salting the walk or putting up a sign when it’s icy.
You can also be partially responsible for your own injury—say there was a sign about the ice but you ignored it—and still receive personal injury payment. In that case, you and the property owner will receive percentages of fault.
If the damages totaled $100,000, and a court finds you 20 percent at fault, you would receive the remaining 80 percent of the damages, or $80,000.
You need an attorney who knows how to prove fault and how to navigate levels of fault. An experienced lawyer will collect evidence like medical bills and witness accounts and work to reduce your percentage of fault.
It takes courage to stand up for your financial future after a harmful fall on someone else’s property.
At Morgan, Collins, Yeast & Salyer, we put Kentucky Courage™ and West Virginia Values to work every day to get people the resources they need to move on with their lives.